Monday, January 23

Yes I Watch NASCAR, Go Fuck Yourself



So, today starts my coverage of all things Mullet in me, NASCAR. While I'm really the only one of my friends that follows this sport like most do those of the stick and ball ilk, I still have fun all by my lonesome. Yes I go to both races at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS), yes I drink red label Budweiser, yes, I own Caps, T-Shirts, beer coozies, seat cushions, stickers, lanyards, flags, banners, and bandanas, all emblazoned with the color, number, and sponsor of my favorite driver (#8 Dale Jr.). And yes, I even have a radio scanner and sound-proof headphones in which I listen to the communications of the drivers and their pit crew. You may say it's crazy, you may say it's not a sport, and you're probably right. What you can't say is that it not maybe the finest example of fandom on the American sports landscape. I've been to events of the big 3 (football, basketball, baseball/stand-around) and aside from the Yankees, Red Sox, and Eagles fans, you'll never find a more rabid group of supporters (though some show up actually exhibiting symptoms from being bit by their dog) than those of the NASCAR ranks.

Today's business, TOYOTA. Toyota entered one of the minor league series of NASCAR 3 years ago with the TUNDRA, in the Craftsman Truck Series. Today, it was anounced that not only would they enter the Camry for the 2007 Nextel Cup campaign, but that it would also place entries into the Busch series as well. What does this mean? Not much to my age group. Being that I'm just 28 I always grew up with more than just the American giants of Chevy, Ford, and Dodge (the current manufacture’s line up). What does it mean to the NASCAR landscape? Well, purists will claim it's an invasion of all things American and that foreign manufactures shouldn’t be allowed on to our 'merican' read: 'Southern tracks'. This argument is bullshit on two fronts because a)it's not the first time someone other than American manufactures have entered into the NASCAR elite series (formally known as Winston Cup), and b)these cars aren't foreign in their build. Both the Camry and the Tundra are built here in America by American hands giving Americans jobs.

If anything, I think competition will improve with the research of Toyota Racing Development (TRD) and we'll wind up having better racing as a result.

The next question to be answered is which of the "good 'ole boys" will move to the new Camry in '07. I feel without a doubt that Penske South (#2 Miller Lite, #12 Alltel) will change from Dodge seeing how his open wheel team is already TRD backed. Plan to see Bill Davis Racing (#23 Caterpillar, #55 Napa) switch from Dodge as well since he already runs the Tundra in the trucks series and consequently has raced the past two years without factory backing from Dodge in the Nextel ranks. The Waltrip boys of Michael and Darrell I can see combining camps and fielding Mikey's Napa ride under their own banner. Darrell already runs 2 Tundras in the truck series and has been their most visible supporter since they hit the circuit. Darrell gives them the "good 'ole boy" image with his championships of the 80’s, and Mikey gives them a built in fan base from his time spent with Dale Earnhardt Inc (DEI) and instant sponsor tie ins with NAPA, Domino's, etc.

All in all, I don’t really give a rats about the Toyota boys because no one is going to out win the Chevys, but more than that, I'm just excited about the up coming races. Daytona is in February, and you'll be able to find me on me on my couch for the next 10 months on Sundays.

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, lets go racin' boys.

No comments: